Historical Letter from Yavuz Sultan Selim to Shah Ismail



Ottoman Sultans were master military commanders and strategists and were very adept at military mind-games. As students of the Enderun academy of the Topkapi Palace, the Sultans grew up learning from the most elite military commanders about warfare and military strategy. It is easy to understand then, how they were able to command 22 million square kilometres of land for generations. They masterfully set their enemies against one another with their political prowess, strength, and intellect. 

Some examples of this can be seen through the following quotes:
  • English Admiral Lord John Fisher describes Sultan Abdülhamid Han II as being the "Most skillful and quick thinking diplomat in all of Europe"
  • German Chancellor Otto von Bismarck has described Sultan Abdülhamid Han II as having the highest amount of intellect in Europe: "Of all the intelligence in Europe, 90% is in Abdulhamid, 5% in myself, and 5% in everyone else"
  • German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II has stated that "I have learned the game of politics from Abdulhamid"
We would like to invite you to read over our latest piece, where we have translated a historical letter from Yavuz Sultan Selim to Shah Ismail I of Persia. Yavuz Sultan Selim was the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Caliph of Islam, his reign lasted between the years 1512–1520.

"I had informed you of the things I am going to do to you from a few months in advance so that you may prepare yourself to stand against me, so that you do not end up saying that you were hunted unawares or say that you were not able to prepare. 

I have not seen any action or movement from your side, despite the fact that I have openly been preparing and moving my forces brazenly, I have even come to the peak of Erzincan Mountain. 


You are cowering in such a way that your presence or absence cannot be ascertained from one another. Whereas those who are on the path of the sword, shield themselves from calamities, and those who have fallen in love with being brave do not fear the arrow or the spear. 


Only a person who does not become pale when kissing his sword may embrace the bride of government/nation. It would be a mistake to refer to someone who finds comfort in the shadows as a man. It is not suitable for one who is afraid of death to gird a sword or mount a horse. 


If you are hiding due to the swelling numbers of my army, I have left forty thousand of my warriors behind, between Kayseri and Sivas. I do not think anyone can be so generous towards their enemy. As such, if you even have an ounce of honour, come and face me."


#OttomanMilitaryProwess

#OttomanMilitaryMindGames

OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:

www.Facebook.com/GloriousOttomanHistory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

+